Home Buyer Checklist
Here Are Many Of The Considerations You'll Want To Discuss With Your Realtor®
Basic Home Features:
- Do you prefer a single-family detached home, townhouse, condominium, or other type of property?
- Desired number of bedrooms and baths
- Preferences regarding kitchen, dining, family rooms, etc. and preferred home layout.
- High-priority home features, such as kitchen appliances, fireplace, RV access etc.
- Other types of rooms needed (e.g., a home office, workshop etc.)
- Need for a garage or parking spaces, and if so, for how many cars?
Other Home Preferences Ranch, two story, split level, etc.
- Age and style of home
- How important is energy efficiency or other green home features?
Neighborhoods/Location Commuting considerations (to work, shopping, schools etc.)
- Proximity to desirable features (such as a community center, exercise facility, school, hospital, etc.)
- Views, how important is it to find your ideal view (mountain view, park, open space etc.)
Lot Characteristics Size and shape, including back, front and side yards
- Landscaping considerations, the need for open play areas, privacy, patio space, decking, etc.
- Home orientations, is it important for your home to face a particular direction?
Life At Home If you'll be sharing your home with children, pets, live-in parents or others, how does this impact your housing preferences? both now, and in the future? For example, pets may require a fenced-in yard etc. Older parents may need one level.
- Proximity to neighbors
Related Costs Homeowner association fees?
- Property taxes
Trade-Offs How much do you want to invest in a home beyond the purchase price, either financially or in terms of sweat equity, if you can't find exactly what you want?
- Are you willing to consider other neighborhoods that provide better affordability?
Resale How long do you plan to live in this home? How does this impact the type of home you will buy, how much you'll spend, and your choice of location?